Summer Drumming Practice
Summer is fast-approaching! For many, that means time to rest, relax and hang out with friends at the pool or the beach. But for drummers, summer means plenty of extra time to practice drumming. Now is the time to stock up on practice material so you can work on your skills all summer long.
Summer is a great time to perfect your current skills but also push yourself to develop more advanced techniques, like stick control and developing your non-dominant hand, timing and volume control, creativity, memory skills and much more!
Set goals for yourself, put aside a certain amount of time each day to practice, and by the end of the season, you’ll have advanced noticeably. Your classmates, bandmates and your teacher will see how much hard work you put in and you’ll be sure to stand out from the other drummers. Whether you’re a concert drummer or you’re working on your drum kit skills, these summer practice materials will get you started on a successful summer drumming practice regime.
Top 10 Practice Books and DVDs for Dummers
- Alfred Stick Control for the Snare Drummer - this classic "bible of drumming" teaches drummers everything from control, touch, and speed to developing their weak hand.
- Hudson Music Steve Gadd Master Series DVD – use this drumming DVD to learn from the influential drummer Steve Gadd including essential tools and techniques comprising his incredibly influential style and approach.
- Alfred Portraits in Rhythm Book – this classic drumming book from Alfred presents the percussionist with challenging and stimulating material with 50 musical solos and brief performance notes.
- Fundamentals of Drumming for Kids – if you have a young child who is interested in drumming, this book is an excellent guide for young drummers!
- Alfred Alfred's Drum Method DVD – this drum instruction DVD from Alfred is the ideal teaching tool to help prepare beginning players for all styles of snare drum and percussion performance.
- Hal Leonard First 50 Songs You Should Play on Drums - this collection provides an accessible combo of drum notation and kit legends for the most popular songs drummers like to play from artists like the Beatles, Nirvana, U2 and Metallica.
- Hal Leonard Hal Leonard Drumset Fills, Audio and Online – this has easy drum fills for the beginner and works its way through intermediate and advanced fills. Each fill is demonstrated twice on the audio; once at a typical performance tempo and once at a slower tempo.
- Alfred Green Day Ultimate Drum Book and Play-Along CD – this Ultimate Play-Along book features authentic, artist-approved drum music from Green Day. You get an enhanced CD with two versions of every song: a full-performance track and a professional accompaniment track so you can play along.
- Exploring Your Creativity on the Drumset Book/Video and DVD - The Mark Guiliana book follows a system entitled D.R.O.P.: Dynamics, Rate, Orchestration, Phrasing - and it will give you the confidence to make a personal statement on the drumset.
- Systems For The Development of Your Own Creativity (Book/Online Audio) - This is not just another drum book, but rather a system that will help you develop the skills needed to master today's studio requirements.
Looking for more drumming practice materials?
Woodwind & Brasswind carries a wide array of print from the best publishers on the market, including Alfred, Hal Leonard and Hudson Music. Or browse our full selection of drum music. If you need guidance, call our music experts at 800.348.5003 and we’ll help you pick the best music for your skills and playing style.